Music Festivals in Portugal and Europe
A new Research Seminar on music festivals in Portugal and Europe will be available to Masters and PhD students at FCSH | NOVA University of Lisbon.
The Professor in charge of this Seminar is our co-founder, researcher Sofia Vieira Lopes, based on the research she has been developing on the Eurovision Song Contest and on the Festival RTP da Canção (Portugal).
This is a free curricular option for all Masters and PhD and be organized in two parts:
- Historical and theoretical approaches, national and international, about music festivals in
Portugal and Europe.
- Questioning concepts: Festival and its different models (festival as a competition and festival as an experience), festivalization of culture, cultural diplomacy, fandom, e.o.
- History of Music Festivals produced in the Iberian Peninsula for media and tourist contexts
- Relationships with the music industries
- Case studies: Eurovision Song Contest and RTP Song Contest - economic and cultural
- Practice of the stakeholders involved in the design, organization and mediation of these
events - Eight guest speakers from music and media industries - small and big festivals, media partners, tourism, a.o.;
- Crossing theoretical perspectives with practical experience;
- Close contact of students with the economic and business contexts;
- Foster critical thinking based on practice and academic approaches.